Academic Bankruptcy Policy

Academic bankruptcy is the removal of one to three semesters of grades from the calculation of a student’s cumulative grade point average (GPA). Academic bankruptcy may be implemented prior to graduation and/or formal awards.  A student may request academic bankruptcy in writing by completing a Petition for Academic Bankruptcy form.   The form must be submitted to the Office of Admissions and Records for processing. Academic bankruptcy may not be applied to NUR courses. 

To be eligible for academic bankruptcy, the student must have completed 12 semester credit hours of coursework at the college since the most recent semester for which the academic bankruptcy is requested.  A grade of “C,” “S,” or higher is required in each course in 12 semester credit hours in the post-bankruptcy period.

Academic bankruptcy may only be declared once and may be applied to no more than three (3) semesters, which do not have to be consecutive. The bankrupted courses and grades remain on the transcript but are not calculated in the student’s cumulative GPA. None of the coursework taken during a semester for which academic bankruptcy is declared, including hours completed satisfactorily, will be used to fulfill degree requirements. Developmental courses successfully completed during a period of academic bankruptcy can be used to fulfill prerequisites. Once academic bankruptcy has been granted, a permanent notation of “ACADEMIC BANKRUPTCY” will be reflected on the transcript for each semester affected. Approval of the academic bankruptcy status at a college does not guarantee other institutions will honor that status. This determination will be made by the respective transfer institution(s).

NOTICE: An award of academic bankruptcy may impact a student’s financial aid status.