All non-native speakers of English must provide evidence of English language proficiency by meeting one of the following options:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)—Minimum score of 500 ITP (paper-delivered TOEFL) or 61 iBT (Internet-delivered TOEFL). Official score should be sent to Gadsden State, institution code 1262. Scores are only valid for two years.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score of 5.5.
- STEP (Society for Testing English Proficiency) Eiken test in Practical English score of 2A.
- Alabama Language Institute (ALI): Students who study in ALI may meet the language requirement by completing all specified advanced level classes with a grade of A or B.
- Qualify for an English as a Second Language Exam Waiver. Per ACCS policy, The English as a Second Language exam may be waived for students from all English speaking countries including but not limited to: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia (Australian English), the Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Belize (Belizean Kriol), The British Indian Ocean Territory, the British Virgin Islands, Canada (Canadian English), the Cayman Islands, Dominica, the Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Grenada, Guam, Guernsey (Channel Island English), Guyana, Ireland (Hiberno-English), Isle of Man (Manx English) Jamaica (Jamaican English), Jersey, Montserrat, Nauru, New Zealand (New Zealand English), Nigeria, Pitcairn Islands, Saint Helena, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Tanzania, Singapore, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, Trinidad and Tobago, the Turks and Caicos Islands, The Gambia, the United Kingdom, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and the United States. Other waivers, with substantial documentation, must be submitted to the Chancellor for approval.
This policy applies to all non-native English speakers entering GSCC who have not received an American high school diploma or GED taken in English. Contact the Admissions Office for more information: P.O. Box 227, Gadsden, AL 35902; telephone 256.549.8324; email firstname.lastname@example.org or click here for more information.