GRADE APPEALS POLICY AND PROCEDURES
General Policies Regarding Grade Appeals
- The student may appeal only the final grade in a class.
- Health Science students may not appeal a clinical failure.
- Grades received during the semester should be discussed with the instructor and may not be formally appealed during the semester.
- Questions about grades should be handled informally if possible. If informal conversations between the instructor and student do not resolve an issue, a formal grade appeal may be filed.
- The burden of proof is on the student in a grade appeal.
- The student will initiate the formal appeal by following the procedure outlined below.
- A student who receives a failing grade because he/she was unaware of the procedure or deadline for withdrawing from a course does not have the right to appeal the grade.
Grade Appeal Steps
Step 1: If no resolution can be agreed upon after the student has spoken with the course instructor, the student can initiate a grade appeal by submitting a Grade Appeal Form to the division chair/program director. This form will allow the student to explain why he or she believes the grade is incorrect. The student must attach all relevant evidence to the form.
Step 2: The division chair/program director will share the completed form and evidence with the instructor who will prepare a written response. The response will be submitted to the division chair/program director. The division chair/program director will review the Grade Appeal form, the instructor’s written response, and all relevant evidence from the student and the instructor and provide a response to the student by Gadsden State email within ten (10) business days, excluding faculty nonduty days.
Step 3: If the issue is not resolved by the division chair/program director’s response, the student must within ten (10) business days submit a written request for further review to the instructional dean who will review the written request, Grade Appeal Form, and all relevant evidence from the student, instructor, and division chair/program director. The instructional dean will provide the student a response by Gadsden State email within ten (10) business days, excluding days the College is closed. The dean’s decision is final and cannot be appealed. Processed Grade Appeal forms will be filed in the dean’s office.