The College recognizes the importance of students being able to submit legitimate complaints relating to courses, programs, and personnel. Students should submit complaints using the following steps:
- Students are encouraged to seek to resolve the matter by discussions with the relevant College personnel most associated with the matter. College personnel with whom a concern is raised by a student is expected to deal with the matter in an open and professional manner and take reasonable and prompt action to try to resolve it informally. The student should consult with the relevant College personnel in person or in writing, within the semester that the grievance occurs.
- If the student is not satisfied that the matter has been resolved, the student should submit a written complaint with the appropriate supervisor of the College personnel. Complaints will be acknowledged by the director/division chair/dean within five working days upon receipt of the complaint. The supervisor will work with the parties in an attempt to resolve the complaint. The resolution process may include meetings with relevant College personnel and the student but should take no longer than 5 working days.
- If the matter is not resolved by the supervisor, then the supervisor will forward the complaint to the appropriate dean. The resolution process may include meetings with the relevant College personnel, the student, and the supervisor in an attempt to resolve the complaint, but should take no longer than 5 working days. The Dean will render a written decision to the student.
- If the student is not satisfied that the matter has been resolved, then the student should submit a written appeal to the President. The President will issue a final written determination within 10 days of receipt of the student's appeal.
- If the student is not satisfied with the President’s final determination, the student may appeal to the Alabama Community College System (ACCS) by utilizing the System’s official Student Complaint Form which is available online at the ACCS website https://www.accs.edu/student-complaints/. Complete instructions for filing of the complaint are located on this website.
*Timelines may be extended at the agreement of all parties.
*This policy does not apply to complaints of harassment and discrimination, violations of the Americans with Disability Act, admission decisions, academic and non-academic conduct and other student grievance policies addressed in the catalog and the student handbook.