Transfer of Credit

Whether one is a U.S. citizen or an international student, the following principles relating to the transfer of credit earned at one institution to another institution apply:

  1. Coursework transferred or accepted for credit toward an undergraduate program must represent collegiate coursework relevant to the formal award, with course content and level of instruction resulting in student competencies at least equivalent to those of students enrolled in the institution’s own undergraduate formal award programs. In assessing and documenting equivalent learning and qualified faculty, an institution may use recognized guides that aid in the evaluation for credit. Such guides include those published by the American Council on Education, the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, and the National Association of Foreign Student Affairs. NOTICE: The student may check for transfer credit on the website by logging into the student account and viewing their unofficial transcript.
  2. A course completed at another regionally accredited postsecondary institution with a passing grade will be accepted for transfer as potentially creditable toward graduation requirements.
  3. A transfer grade of “D” will be accepted. The exception to this rule is a grade of “D” in English Composition I.  Selective admissions programs may treat transfer differently towards degree completion.
  4. College credit hours will be given based on the credit hours earned at the transferring institution.
  5. Non-traditional credit may be extended based on a comprehensive evaluation of demonstrated and documented competencies and previous formal training. Evaluations are made by qualified faculty and approved by the appropriate instructor and dean.
  6. A transfer student from a collegiate institution not accredited by the appropriate regional association may request an evaluation of transfer credits after completing fifteen (15) semester hours with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above.
  7. Exceptions to this policy must be approved by the appropriate dean after review by the academically-qualified division chair.