An international student (a first-time freshman, a transfer student, a transient student, or a re-admit student) must apply for admission to the College before the student may enroll in a course. To begin the admission procedure, the student must apply through the International Programs Office (PO Box 227, Gadsden, AL 35902). For more information, telephone 256.549.8324 or 256.549.8438, email firstname.lastname@example.org or go to http://www.gadsdenstate.edu/international_students/admissions.
International student applicants are not eligible for conditional admission status.
To be admitted to GSCC, an international student must submit to the International Programs Office each of the following:
- A certified original translated and evaluated copy of the student’s high school transcript, showing that the average grade was at least “C.” (Any accredited credential evaluation service may be used for evaluation);
- English language proficiency as evidenced by a score of at least 500 (ITP) or 61 (IBT) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language; IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score of 5.5, or STEP (Society for Testing English Proficiency) Eiken score Pre-First. Exceptions are as follows:
- Exception #1: (1) A student from a country where English is the native language or from a country exempt from an English proficiency test or (2) a student who has graduated from an accredited high school in the United States or from an accredited American high school overseas or (3) a student who is applying for admission to the Alabama Language Institute (ALI) is exempt from providing evidence of English language proficiency. For more information about the ALI program, a student should see the section on “Alabama Language Institute” in this catalog.
- Exception #2: A transfer student who has successfully completed English Composition 101 or higher with a grade of C or above from a regionally accredited institution is exempt from providing evidence of English language proficiency.
- Exception #3: A student who (1) has completed one full term in the Alabama Language Institute at the highest levels (Levels 5 & 6) in Speaking/Listening, Reading, Grammar, Composition, and either Vocabulary 2 or TOEFL Strategies; (2) has passed all skill areas with at least a “B”; and (3) has a written recommendation from the ALI faculty to enter college may enroll in the College without further evidence of English language proficiency.
The ACCS Medical Record Form completed and signed by a physician attesting to the student’s good health and documenting required vaccinations and a current TB test or chest x-ray showing no active tuberculosis;
Affidavit of Support in the form of a certified statement from a person who assumes full responsibility for the student’s financial support with a signed declaration by the sponsor’s bank. All forms can be downloaded from http://www.gadsdenstate.edu/international_students/admissions.
An international transfer student (that is, a student seeking enrollment to GSCC and who has attended one or more U.S. colleges and/or universities) must also ensure that an official academic record transcript is sent directly to GSCC by the Registrar of each college and/or university that the student attended. In addition, the student must submit to the International Programs Office a completed Transfer Clearance Form.
Academic credits earned at a foreign university must be evaluated by World Education Services (WES), P.O. Box 745, Old Chelsea Station, New York, NY 10113-0745; website: www.wes.org/ or any accredited credential evaluation service. The credential evaluation service should send the evaluation directly to Gadsden State Community College, Registrar, P.O. Box 227, Gadsden, AL 35902-0227.
All students holding a student (F-1) visa must have adequate health insurance coverage during all periods of enrollment and summer vacation. Repatriation and medical evacuation benefits need to be included under the health insurance policy. Health insurance policies, other than the policy recommended by Gadsden State, must have comparable benefits to be accepted. Students who do not comply with this requirement will be blocked from registration and blocked from sending a Gadsden State transcript.
A student from a country where former students have experienced difficulty in obtaining funds may be required by Gadsden State to deposit a semester’s worth of educational funds with the College when the student applies for admission. These funds will be held by the college only until the student’s first semester’s expenses are satisfied at which time the college will refund all excess funds to the student.
Procedure for Making Application as an International Student
To Apply for the English Program (ALI or the College):
- Download and complete Application for Admission Form http://www.gadsdenstate.edu/sites/default/files/u36/intlapp.pdf
- Complete the ACCS Medical Record Form.
- Have sponsor complete an Affidavit of Support Form with a signed declaration by the sponsor’s bank.
To Apply for Admission Directly to the College the following additional steps are required:
- Provide certified original translated and evaluated transcripts of grades.
- Submit accepted evidence of English language proficiency (see Exceptions above).
An international student approved for enrollment in regular Gadsden State courses must take the Placement Test to determine the correct placement in English and mathematics.